June 1, 2012 @ 7:38 PM ….
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve changed the theme for this website — that’s how it looks, not a topic change :). It’s now compatible with mobile devices and looks great on my iPad 1.
May 8, 2012 @ 8:02 PM ….
This gallery is a tad different from what I had at saxpics.com because I …
* Want to get A picture of AN alto for every year of a particular horn’s production, to chart the model’s change throughout the years.
* Want to get one really good example of each pitch of a particular model.
* Want to get one really good example of each finish available for a particular model.
* Will still collect as many pics as possible of something insanely rare. Currently this applies to F saxophones.
* Want to get pics of horns I’ve never heard of and have no idea who made ’em.
This also means that if I find a better example of a model, I’ll be deleting pics.
A couple of exceptions:
* I’ve got pics of all of the Claude Laurent flutes that are accessible from the Internet on the Claude Laurent page. That won’t change. If I find more Laurent horns, I’ll post them there.
* I’m trying to collect pics of all available Artist’s Special and Virtuoso Deluxe finished American horns. While those two finish names are from Conn, almost all other American manufacturers offered variations on the gold-plated, additional pearl keytouches and custom engraving idea up until WWII.
* I have told Helen at Bassic-Sax that I think she’s doing a great job regarding Germanic saxophones and I will forward any other pics/links I find of them to her.
* My AJ and AE Sax project. That’s just about finding all the hor ns. I may post a few in my Gallery 3 if I find them on eBay and are about to go *poof*.
November 13, 2011 @ 6:02 PM ….
Check out a new thing I’m playing with: The Saxophone Model Timeline. Enjoy!
November 8, 2011 @ 8:17 PM ….
I fleshed out my writings on some of the more popular Selmer Mark VI myths and stuck ’em onto a single page. Enjoy.
November 5, 2011 @ 9:42 PM ….
Another update for my Selmer Mark VI page! Pics of the various finishes available.
October 24, 2011 @ 3:38 PM ….
I’ve fixed most of the link problems from my old server shutting down. I’ve also fixed a lot of the formatting problems that cropped up with my old theme. I do know I’ve got a couple more things to change, but they’re not “show stopper” problems.
October 23, 2011 @ 8:05 PM ….
Couple things: first, for whatever reason, the theme that I had been using stopped supporting adding stuff with HTML tags. That means that I had to pick a different theme. Second, my old webserver is no completely gone. I’ve noticed that I’ve got a lot of hotlinked images to fix. I’m working on it.
October 20, 2011 @ 12:01 PM ….
All the 2011 calendars are now available on Lulu at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thesax5fo (or here, if you prefer). If you look below, I’ve started a thread to share my comments on the calendar and pictures. Please take a look!
October 11, 2011 @ 7:44 PM ….
My 8.5″ x 11″ calendar is now available on Lulu (or it will be, when Lulu’s indexed it).
The large calendar (13.5″ x 8.75″) will be finished after I get back the proofs, so you’ll have choices! Additionally, I’ve always wanted to write a bit of commentary about the pictures, so I’ll be doing that in the near future.
Sept. 17, 2011 @ 2:00 PM ….
After at least 10 years being hosted *for free* by a great guy and saxophone player, his server is being “repurposed.” I’m now with a new host and I’m slowly trying to get everything working. Gallery3 is currently online at the old website. This blog is 100% at the new website.
If you see any problems — links that are broken, etc. — please e-mail me at thesax5fo-at-gmail.com.
July 11, 2011 @ 7:30 PM
Y’all may not have noticed, but I have a backup blog in case this server goes down. It’s at http://thesax5fo.wordpress.com. I use a different theme (colors ‘n’ such) there, too. Bookmark it!
June 6, 2011 @ 10:51 AM
Primarily because of a comment from Jim Glass, I expanded the section regarding the 16V on my Conn New Wonder (Experimental) page. Enjoy!
May 28, 2011 @ 7:33 PM
I told you that my next post would be content. It’s my “experimental” Conn New Wonder page. I still want to tweak some things, but it’s very close to what I have in mind. (If you’re wondering, it took about a week of planning and three weeks of research & building.) I’ve also upgraded and fixed my Conn Gallery3 page.
May 2, 2011 @ 8:38
All formatting is fixed on all pages. Yayyy!! Next update will be real content. Promise! I had been working on it prior to the theme/server problems and guesstimate that it’ll be done sometime this month. It’s fairly graphics intensive.
May 1, 2011 @ 8:26
Well, I changed around a couple of picture placements in some older articles. I did not completely reformat things; I just wanted to get the excerpts excerpted right. (Well, “intelligible,” at least.) I’ll fix the format tomorrow.
Apr 29, 2011 @ 8:04
I’ve done a temp replacement of the I7 Glass theme with Suffusion and edited the first couple pages to display “correctly.” I have a bunch of stuff I have to change around. Mostly, it’s just the excerpts that look a little odd.
Apr 29, 2011 @ 12:22
More work with the new theme, today and I think it’s pretty shiny. However, I have to change and/or edit some pics. It’ll take awhile ….
Apr 28, 2011 @ 8:11
I noticed today that the search engine rather distorts things an awful lot. I’ve contacted the designer of the theme to see if there’s a simple fix. I’ve also been playing with another theme, just in case. In other words, I’m probably going to be doing more testing, so expect sporadic outages ….
Apr 24, 2011 @ 7:33
Again, another of those “that didn’t work right” moments. For some reason, my Gallery 3 again died. I’ve reinstalled it and I’m in the process of restoring data. Well, I published my “Rebuild of Selmer, Pt. 2: 1922 to 1925,” so you’ve got some more reading material!